Pages

Saturday, 16 August 2014

creation appreciation + an announcement

i love art. and not just arty-art-art, paintings'n'sculptures kind of art, i love books, films, tv shows, photographs, websites, articles, things which i tend to call creations, because actually art is just too narrow a term. i like looking at them, i like reading what people have written about them and i like connecting with people over them.

in fact, there is only one problem i have with these art/creation. i can't do it. i can't write or make up stories, my photography skills are null and void and drawing makes my head hurt. the idea of forming the vague, floating ideas i have in my head into anything physical/visible is one which sends me into panic mode, and i have endless admiration for those people who can sit down, in front of a blank canvas/word document/lump of clay, and just create.

of course, i realise that being artistic isn't plain sailing even for the most brilliant of minds. it takes practice, persistence, tears, giving up and starting over and often endless frustration. which is why i fall at the first hurdle when trying to create things: i am lazy. i have exciting ideas, but the minute i reach any kind of stumbling block (which could be anything from losing my gluestick to simply exhausting the possibilities of said idea), i give up. my wonderful idea now seems boring, irritating and useless, and i go back to appreciating what other people do.

a few months ago, i had a minor epiphany. i was sat, with my collection of fineliners trying desperately to draw something interesting. after about half an hour of drawing rough shapes and not settling on anything and feeling useless about it, i suddenly thought, but what on earth is wrong with not being able to create anything? why do i torture myself over trying to do something which i have much more fun watching other people do? 

it was at that point that i coined the term 'serial appreciator' to describe myself, and actually anyone else like me who prefers to just surround themselves with beautiful things other people have made, rather than create themselves.


serial appreciators exist in many different forms. they are art collectors, editors of magazines, hoarders and zoo managers. serial appreciators love nothing more than looking at new things, even if they don't form an opinion of them, just to have experienced it. they collect and stash things, obsessively, either physically in the form of objects they hold dear, or mentally as opinions on things they are interested in. we like filing cabinets, tumblr, pretty picture frames. in short, we enjoy organising, editing and publicising the beautiful things other people make. 

for a long time, i had loads of pages bookmarked which were calling for submissions for various different webzines. however i realised i was never ever going to make anything for any of them, because i can't. 

so now I'm thinking, what if instead of failing to submit stuff, i could take advantage of my over-enthusiastic ability to collect/manage stuff and create my own site for other people to submit stuff to? maybe. i don't know if anyone would submit, or if i could create some kind of space which would be unique in what kind of thing people could submit. a zine for chronically shy people to express their deeper feelings in the form of art? something feminism based? a creative space for rabbit enthusiasts? 

i don't know. the entire plan is still horribly vague in my mind, but if anyone would be interested in submitting something to a zine/website i ran, helping me run it, or even if you're looking for someone to help run/edit a publication, please feel free to contact me via email/commenting/carrier pigeon.

15 comments:

  1. Oooh oohh *raises hand* id love to be a part of the zine. Im good with poems , polyvores, and moodboards

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is an amazing new term and this also sounds like a fantastic idea! Eeeeep! Excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yayyyyy thank youu everything is still v vague atm haha x

      Delete
  3. On a hike with my mom a while back, I had a great epiphany that my value as a human is not affected by my creativity. I don't need to create anything to be worth anything. This was a very special realization, and it has actually helped me to be more creative (oddly enough). I put less weight on creating things, and more on appreciating things, and suddenly I was able to make something without freaking out about how it looked.
    I really connected with what you said in this here blog post.
    http://navigating-fairyland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, its really hard to create when you are under pressure to do so. the best stuff you make is the stuff you make for yourself x

      Delete
  4. Hmmm. I stumbled upon your blog through Rookie and this post meant a lot to me. I didn't realise there was someone else who felt the same frustration of consuming art but being unsure how to create it! :D

    However, I do think you might be a little wrong - if it isn't rude to say - because I've been scrolling down and your writing. HEY. Your writing! It is brilliant and understated and seems to me like art, in its most natural and fundamental form and you don't even REALISE! Maybe the same talent at surrounding yourself with beautiful things allows you to surround yourself with beautiful phrases - deceptively simple but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* wow wow you are very sweet. and you are being incredibly un-rude haha. your comment very much made my day <3 <3

      Delete
  5. Hey, I know this is pretty late but I would love to be a part of the zine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yayyy you're not too late thank you

      Delete
  6. This post is so relevant. So so relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'll definitely try to help <3

    ReplyDelete